Choosing a Retirement Community
Advice from Sue Knobloch, Evergreen Marketing Coordinator
Why consider a retirement community?
- Just for the fun of it! Simplify your life.
- Let someone else manage the usual chores of home ownership.
- Enjoy having the time to do the things you like most.
- Live easier – fewer stairs, handier storage, security systems, services.
- Secure your future in case you ever need assistance or health care.
What’s important to you?
- Stay local, move near family, return to your roots, start a new adventure?
- Metropolitan area, college town, small city, something in-between?
- On the water, in the mountains, warm weather, change of seasons?
- Close to shopping centers, theaters, libraries, museums, hospitals?
- Near the golf course, good fishing spots, walking trails?
- On-site services – dining venues, entertainment, health care, therapy?
- For-profit, non-profit and/or Christian philosphy?
What opportunities do you want?
- Educational and cultural – classes, presentations, lectures?
- Fitness – equipment, pools, walking trails?
- Volunteering – valued for your know-how and special talents?
- Pets – can you bring yours?
- Fun activities – for both men and women, for special interest groups?
Evaluating a community
What do your instincts tell you?
- Your first impression?
- Age and maintenance of buildings?
- High-quality materials and workmanship?
- Clean, attractive and inviting?
- Grounds interesting and well-kept?
- Buildings secured?
- Safe sidewalks and driveways with good outdoor lighting?
- Emergency response system for assistance?
- Traffic patterns and noise levels?
- The view – water, nature, city streets, people, activity?
- History of the facility?
- Mission and vision of the organization?
- Resident involvement in the organization?
- Local, state, and national reputations?
- Partnerships with schools, businesses, organizations?
- Results of satisfaction surveys and state surveys?
Your new neighbors – talk to residents!
- Backgrounds, interests, values similar to yours?
- Good mix of men and women? Couples and singles?
- Age range of residents?
- What do residents say about the community?
- Do residents look and act happy?
- Monthly fees? Extra charges?
- Choice of payment options?
- Charges fair and affordable for you?
- Wait list? Usual waiting time?
- Procedure for leaving the community?
Listen to your heart
- How do you feel? How does your spouse feel?
- Will you have the balance of community and independence that is right for you?
Plan ahead - Be pleasantly surprised to see the options that are available in retirement communities today!
Sue Knobloch is Evergreen's marketing coordinator. Talk with her about what to consider when choosing a retirement community or to take a tour of Evergreen's retirement living options. Call (920) 237-2125 or email sknobloch@EvergreenOshkosh.com.